Volunteer Program Information
Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary welcomes volunteers that help us create and maintain a safe home for our animals and a memorable experience for our guests. If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Application and return it in person to our Gift Shop or via the email address listed below. You must be 18 years or older to volunteer.
Since 1994, Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary has served as a sanctuary for displaced animals from a variety of unfortunate and often neglectful situations. In 2000, Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary became a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which relies on private support, admission fees, gift shop sales, grants, corporate sponsorships and volunteers.
Regular Hours (February 1 – October 31)
Open daily from 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (No entry after 5:00 p.m.)
Gift Shop closes at 5:00 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 512-288-1490
- Volunteer Duties and Responsibilities
Volunteer duties include the following:
- Kitchen duties
- Habitat maintenance
- Gift Shop Duties
- Food preparation for animals
- Occasional grounds-keeping projects
Working directly with an animal is rare.
Volunteer shifts are available every day. Volunteers are assigned a weekly or biweekly shift, based on their availability. The morning shift is from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; the mid-day shift is from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; and the afternoon shift is from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. We ask that volunteers commit to a schedule for the duration of their time at the Zoo, so that we can set staff and other volunteers’ schedules accordingly. If you will be unable to make your scheduled volunteer session, please inform us as soon as possible.
- Always show respect for our animals, guests, and Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary facility.
- Volunteers may not handle any animal or enter any animal enclosure without permission from a Zookeeper.
- Volunteers may not share pictures of off-display animals without permission from our Director.
- Proper clothing for outside work is required. Closed-toed shoes are a must.
- Please keep in mind that we are a family-friendly facility and refrain from wearing clothing that is suggestive or contains questionable content.
- Smoking is not allowed on Zoo grounds. If you must smoke, please return to the parking lot.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Report any injury immediately to a staff member in our Gift Shop.
- All volunteers must complete a general liability release form.
If a volunteer repeatedly cancels, does not meet his or her schedule, or violates any of the volunteer guidelines, he/she will be removed from our volunteer schedule and roster.
Download the application here and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org