Full-Time Zoo Gift Shop/Office Employee
Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary is hiring a new full-time employee for the Zoo Gift Shop/Office, to work 40 hours, 5 days a week, including both Saturday and Sunday. Tasks include, but are not limited to: greeting visitors, explaining our mission to new visitors, working the cash register, answering phones, scheduling field trips and birthday parties, bagging and selling petting corral food, stocking Gift Shop merchandise and beverage coolers, keeping the Gift Shop clean and merchandise organized, feeding and caring for Gift Shop cats, cleaning and restocking the public restrooms before the Zoo opens, and closing the register at the end of the day.
We are looking for someone who:
- has basic computer/word processing (word & excel) experience
- has at least 2 years retail experience
- at least 2 years college (Bachelor’s Degree is preferred)
- is able to lift 50 lbs
- has cash handling experience
To be considered, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief introduction and resume. Please include your resume in the body of the email and not as an attachment.
NO drop-ins or telephone calls regarding this position, please.
Full-Time Zoo Keeper
Austin Zoo is currently hiring for a full time zookeeper position. This position will cover multiple species. All full time positions consist of 40 hours per week and include weekends, holidays, and occasional evening hours.
- daily assessment/observation and care of exhibit and off-exhibit animals
- food preparation and assessment of consumption
- visual evaluation of health, condition, and behavior
- keeping extensive written records
- perform operant conditioning, behavioral management, and enrichment practices
- interaction with zoo visitors in an informal setting
- working with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
- Qualified applicants must have minimum of a 4 year degree and preferably 2 years direct animal care experience. This position is intended for an animal care professional who has mastered basic husbandry, observation, and record keeping techniques.
- The ideal candidate will be able to lift 50 pound bags of animal feed, work outdoors, and demonstrate the ability to manage their time in a fast paced environment.
- They must be able to complete daily tasks with minimum supervision,keep detailed and accurate records and possess good oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and
- Preference will be given to applicants that have working experience with the care and handling of exotic animals to include capture and restraint, training and enrichment, diet preparation and daily maintenance of enclosures.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please no phone calls or drop-ins. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial interview.
Certified Veterinary Technician
Austin Zoo is seeking a part-time certified veterinary technician to assist the veterinarian in all procedures, rounds, processing and evaluation of laboratory samples.
MUST BE LICENSED IN THE STATE OF TEXAS
- Collect or assist in the collection of biological samples
- Assist with surgical procedures and monitoring of patients during anesthetic procedures
- Follow treatment plans, administer and dispense medication according to veterinary prescriptions
- Assist in the care and treatment of animals under quarantine
- Perform fecal evaluations, venipuncture, assist in obtaining radiographs, and restraining animals
- Work under the direction of the veterinarian, head veterinary keepers and zoo director
- Must have completed a veterinary technology program and MUST BE LICENSED IN THE STATE OF TEXAS.
- Three years of veterinary technician experience. Previous zoo or exotic experience is required.
- Must be able to demonstrate experience performing veterinary technical duties including proficiency in common clinical techniques, anesthesia, animal restraint and conducting laboratory procedures.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of mammals, birds and reptiles husbandry.
- Have a valid driver’s license and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be available to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk-ins accepted.