- Austin Zoo is currently hiring for a full time zookeeper position. This position will cover multiple species. All full time positions consist of 40 hours per week and include weekends, holidays, and occasional evening hours.
Description of Work:
- daily assessment/observation and care of exhibit and off-exhibit animals
- food preparation and assessment of consumption
- visual evaluation of health, condition, and behavior
- keeping extensive written records
- perform operant conditioning, behavioral management, and enrichment practices
- interaction with zoo visitors in an informal setting
- working with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
Qualified applicants must have minimum of a 4 year degree and preferably 2 years direct animal care experience. This position is intended for an animal care professional who has mastered basic husbandry, observation, and record keeping techniques.
The ideal candidate will be able to lift 50 pound bags of animal feed, work outdoors, and demonstrate the ability to manage their time in a fast paced environment. They must be able to complete daily tasks with minimum supervision, keep detailed and accurate records and possess good oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and ability to work within a dynamic team.
Preference will be given to applicants that have working experience with the care and handling of exotic animals to include capture and restraint, training and enrichment, diet preparation and daily maintenance of enclosures.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please no phone calls or drop-ins. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial interview.
There are currently no further openings in our staff at this time. Please visit our Volunteer Page, under “How You can Help”, for information on volunteering.